Element Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Element Forums

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  IRC ChatIRC Chat  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Locations and backstories.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nighthawk
Overlord
Overlord
Nighthawk

Locations and backstories. Empty
PostSubject: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 1:19 am

I dunno where else to put this, but anyway here we go. RPGs without storylines are very mediocre RPGs. A good story makes or breaks an RPG; while other genres such as fighting games or racing games can get away with a poor or non-exsistant story, RPGs can't. However, a single storyline for Element is hard to do, and I wouldn't want a restricted linear story anyway. That is why Element will have several story tracks inside of it. This is a topic where I will discuss various locations and their stories, as well as any points of interest there, for both my reference, and yours. Expect frequent edits.

Fort Granatt

Granatt is a town built inside a fortress, and it isn't without coincidence. Granatt is situated in the shadow of the much larger, Fort Crystallo. Crystallo is run by a band of water elementals, who despise the predominantly earth elemental community of Granatt, and regularly remind the helpless civilians of their superiority.

Good quest:

A large group of residents has been kidnapped by King Crystallo and his thugs. Your job is to find a way into the fortress, defeat Crystallo, and rescue the captives.

Bad quest:

Crystallo is amazed that you managed to get into his castle and find him, and offers you a deal. 200 coins for King Granatt's head.

Special Events:

Occasionally, the server will trigger an event where Crystallian knights will break through the walls of Fort Granatt and attempt to take prisoners. Any players in the area can go into the town and fight the knights for a nice reward from King Granatt.

I'll add more later, just let me know what you think of the first one so far. Smile

Last edited by Nighthawk on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://element.aforumfree.com
blueflare
Seasoned Sniper
Seasoned Sniper
blueflare

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 am

i think that's a good idea, as long as Granatt isn't too close to the beginning

if it was, the newbies could get killed super easily in what would normally be a safe place
Back to top Go down
Nighthawk
Overlord
Overlord
Nighthawk

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:23 am

It will be a relatively rare event, and it's far enough. (Just after moorshum forest.)
Back to top Go down
Brainee1
The Dark X
The Dark X

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 7:53 am

For the properly non-linear expreience, you also need to be able to help Fort Crystallo, for evil exp.
Sorry, but that current quest system looks way too much like Rune Scape's, in idea. I say for every non-neutral quest (And some neutral ones) you have a good counterpart, and an evil counterpart, to the mission. Of course, if you join the "good guys" and betray them, you get a lot of evil exp. join the "evil guys" and betray them, you still get evil, but not very much. You also get "stupid points". :p
Back to top Go down
MonkeykingZX
Lightbringer
Lightbringer
MonkeykingZX

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:14 am

nice idea and i agree with brainee on this one
Back to top Go down
Brainee1
The Dark X
The Dark X

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:21 am

lol you say that like you usually DON'T agree with me. Why do I suddenly feel unloved?
:p
Back to top Go down
Nighthawk
Overlord
Overlord
Nighthawk

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks, I was actually considering an evil quest, but I hadn't come up with an idea yet. I think I'll do that, thanks Brainee. I don't think there'll be a good points/evil points system, but rather a single variable called reputation. Do quests that satisfy your faction's philosophies, and you earn points, if you do quests that contradict it, you lose them. Get to.. Say... -100, and you automatically change factions, and your points are set to 0. That's the system I had planned anyway, what do you guys think?

EDIT: Evil objective added.
Back to top Go down
sasracer
Red Robot
Red Robot

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:32 pm

1: Why would you get Evil points for betraying evil?
2: Sounds good so far.
Back to top Go down
http://sasracer.wordpress.com/
Brainee1
The Dark X
The Dark X

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 6:53 am

Think about it, evil is simply the act of doing something bad, or wrong. Murder/betrayal is wrong. Even if you do something evil to the evil faction, how does that make it good? Two wrongs don't make a right. (Unless you're "good", then you're too self-rightous to even realise that what you're doing is wrong.)
Back to top Go down
sasracer
Red Robot
Red Robot

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 pm

-.-
Wow, thats some nice prejedous you got against good people there...
But I guess I agree. Makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://sasracer.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locations and backstories.   Locations and backstories. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locations and backstories.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Element Forums :: Element :: Ideas and Suggestions-
Jump to: